Choosing a course is one of the most important decisions you'll ever make! View our courses and see what our students and lecturers have to say about the courses you are interested in at the links below.
Each year more than 4,000 choose NUI Galway as their University of choice. Find out what life at NUI Galway is all about here.
About NUI Galway
About NUI Galway
Since 1845, NUI Galway has been sharing the highest quality teaching and research with Ireland and the world. Find out what makes our University so special – from our distinguished history to the latest news and campus developments.
Colleges & Schools
Colleges & Schools
NUI Galway has earned international recognition as a research-led university with a commitment to top quality teaching across a range of key areas of expertise.
- Business & Industry
- Alumni, Friends & Supporters
At NUI Galway, we believe that the best learning takes place when you apply what you learn in a real world context. That's why many of our courses include work placements or community projects.
- S Tuohy, M Glavin, E Jones, C Hughes, L Kilmartin, "Hybrid testbed for simulating in-vehicle automotive networks", Simulation Modelling Practice and Theory 66, 193-211, 2016. [DOI]
- E Hamuda, M Glavin, E Jones, "A survey of image processing techniques for plant extraction and segmentation in the field", Computers and Electronics in Agriculture 125, 184-199, 2016.
- S Tuohy, A Winterlich, B McGinley, M Glavin, E Jones, P Denny, L Kilmartin, "Evaluating the influence of packet loss on visual quality of perception for high bandwidth automotive networks", Signal Processing: Image Communication 43, 15-27, 2016.
- D Dooley, B McGinley, C Hughes, L Kilmartin, E Jones, M Glavin, "A blind-zone detection method using a rear-mounted fisheye camera with combination of vehicle detection methods", IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems 17 (1), 264-278.
- P Hurney, P Waldron, F Morgan, E Jones, M Glavin, "Review of pedestrian detection techniques in automotive far-infrared video", IET intelligent transport systems 9 (8), 824-832, 2015.
S Tuohy, M Glavin, C Hughes, E Jones, M Trivedi, L Kilmartin, "Intra-vehicle networks: A review", IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems 16 (2), 534-545,2015.
- A Winterlich, C Hughes, L Kilmartin, M Glavin, E Jones, "An oriented gradient based image quality metric for pedestrian detection performance evaluation", Signal Processing: Image Communication 31, 61-75, 2015
- P O’Donovan, D Coburn, E Jones, L Hannon, M Glavin, D Mullins, E Clifford, "A cloud-based distributed data collection system for decentralised wastewater treatment plants", Procedia Engineering 119, 464-469, 2015.
- A Winterlich, P Denny, L Kilmartin, M Glavin, E Jones, "Performance optimization for pedestrian detection on degraded video using natural scene statistics", Journal of Electronic Imaging 23 (6), 061114-061114, 2014.
- P Hurney, P Waldron, F Morgan, E Jones, M Glavin, "Night-time pedestrian classification with histograms of oriented gradients-local binary patterns vectors", IET intelligent transport systems 9 (1), 75-85, 2014.
- S Tuohy, M Glavin, E Jones, M Trivedi, L Kilmartin "Next generation wired intra-vehicle networks, a review", Intelligent Vehicles Symposium (IV), 2013 IEEE, 777-782, 2013.
- DO Cualain, M Glavin, E Jones, "Multiple-camera lane departure warning system for the automotive environment", IET Intelligent Transport Systems 6 (3), 223-234, 2012.
- R McFeely, M Glavin, E Jones, "Shadow identification for digital imagery using colour and texture cues", IET image processing 6 (2), 148-159, 2012.
- DO Cualain, C Hughes, M Glavin, E Jones, "Automotive standards-grade lane departure warning system", IET Intelligent Transport Systems 6 (1), 44-57, 2012.
- C Hughes, M Glavin, E Jones, "Simple fish-eye calibration method with accuracy evaluation", ELCVIA Electronic Letters on Computer Vision and Image Analysis 10 (1), 2011.
- R O'malley, M Glavin, E Jones, "Vision-based detection and tracking of vehicles to the rear with perspective correction in low-light conditions", IET Intelligent Transport Systems 5 (1), 1-10, 2011.
- C. Hughes, P. Denny, E. Jones, M. Glavin, M, "Accuracy of fish-eye lens models", Applied Optics, 49 :3338-3347, 2010.
- C. Hughes, R. McFeely, P. Denny, M. Glavin, E. Jones, "Equidistant (f theta) fish-eye perspective with application in distortion centre estimation", Image And Vision Computing, 28 :538-551, 2010. [DOI]
- M. Friel, C. Hughes, P. Denny, E. Jones, and M. Glavin (2010) 'Automatic calibration of fish-eye cameras from automotive video sequences'. IET Intelligent Transport Systems, 4 (2):136-148, 2010. [DOI]
- R. O'Malley, E. Jones, M. Glavin, "Detection of Pedestrians in Far-Infrared Automotive Night Vision using Region-Growing and Clothing Distortion Compensation", Elsevier Infrared Physics & Technology, 53(6), pp. 439-449, November 2010, Science Direct.
- C. Hughes, P. Denny, M. Glavin and E. Jones, " Equidistant Fish-Eye Calibration and Rectification by Vanishing Point Extraction", IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 32(12), pp. 2289-2296, December 2010.
- R. McFeely, C. Hughes, E. Jones and M. Glavin, "Removal of NonUniform Complex and Compound Shadows from Textured Surfaces using Adaptive Directional Smoothing and the Thin Plate Model", accepted for publication in IET Image Processing, May 2010.
- R. O'Malley, M. Glavin, E. Jones, "Vision Based Detection and Tracking of Vehicles to the Rear with Perspective Correction in Low-Light Conditions", IET Intelligent Transport Systems, 5(1), pp. 1-10, March 2011. IET Digital Library IEEEXplore
- C. Hughes, P. Denny, E. Jones, M. Glavin, " Accuracy of Fisheye Lens Models", Applied Optics, 49(17), pp. 3338-3347, June 2010. OpticsInfobase
- R. O'Malley, E. Jones, M. Glavin, " Rear-Lamp Vehicle Detection and Tracking in Low Exposure Color Video for Night Conditions", IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, 11(2), pp. 453-462, June 2010. IEEEXplore.
- D. Campbell, E. Jones and M. Glavin, " Audio Quality Assessment Techniques - A Review, and Recent Developments", Elsevier Signal Processing, 89(8), pp. 1489-1500, August 2009. ScienceDirect
C. Hughes, M. Glavin, E. Jones and P. Denny, " Wide-angle camera technology for automotive applications: a review", IET Intelligent Transport Systems, 3(1), pp. 19-31, March 2009. IET Digital Library IEEE Xplore